SOME IMPORTANT DATES IN THE HISTORY OF DARFIELD.

      1050.   Possible date for foundation of the earliest extant parts of the Parish Church.

     1066.   The Norman Conquest. Darfield had two manors each with a Saxon Lord, Alsi and Chetelber.

     1086.   The Domesday Book was compiled. "In Derewelle Alsi and Chetelber had four carncates of 

                  land to be taxed. Alsi has now there two ploughs and five villeins". A carncate was between

                  60 and 120 acres

     1450.   The old Bridge Inn, (formerly known as the Ring O' Bells), is established.

     1538.   The value of land at Darfield owned by the monks at Monk Bretton Priory was £4.3s.10p.

                  (This Priory, now in ruins, is in the care of English Heritage and is at Lundwood about 

                   three miles away).

     1661.   The militia are recorded as meeting at Shroggs Head Green in Darfield.

     1740.   The Turnpike Road from Doncaster to Barnsley is created, passing through Darfield. By the

                  river crossing a turnpike lodge is built. The board showing the tariff for using the turnpike may

                  be viewed in Darfield Park.

     1761.   The present Middlewood Hall is built by George Walker on a site occupied for many centuries.

     1788.   First meeting place for Darfield Methodists recorded, in the house of Robert Foster.

     1794.   A sheep roast is held in the village to celebrate the birth of George III.

     1801.   The population of Darfield is recorded as being 447.

     1805.   The Enclosure Act is passed by Parliament. Areas of common and waste land at Shroggs Head

                  Green; Middlewood Green; The Carr; The Dikes; Quarry Hill; Far Rofe; Near Rofe; Darfield Green;

                  and fifty acres at Edwardthorpe Green are enclosed.

     1821.   Of the 112 recorded families in Darfield, 100 are involved in agriculture, 4 are in trade and 8 

                  otherwise.

     1831.   Population of Darfield now stands at 521.

     1835.   Mr. E. Beaumont builds Upperwood Hall, the third hall to be built on that site. (The hall is now

                  divided into flats).

     1840.   The railway through Darfield is opened. This was built by George Stevenson and the village is

                  served by a station.

     1842.   The National School is opened in the village. This later became the Green Monk toy factory and

                   is now demolished. 

     1849.   Ebenezer Elliott, the "Corn Law Rhymer", dies at Great Houghton and is buried in Darfield

                  Churchyard. (The only tomb to retain its wrought iron railing surround).

     1850.   The Low Valley Clay Works are opened, providing work for local people. At the works are made

                  sanitary ware; fire bricks; drainpipes; and glazed tiles. Mr. Goody, the owner of the works, lived at

                  Poplar House which until recently served as the Council Offices for Darfield. The building is now

                  used as the Doctors Surgery and is a Grade 2 listed building.

     1857.   Gigantic explosion underground at Lundhill Pit, near Wombwell on 19th. February. A memorial

                   obelisk now stands in Darfield Churchyard to the 189 men and boys who were killed, 146 of them

                   being buried in the churchyard.

     1860.   The Wesleyans enlarged their chapel on School Street.

     1861.   Darfield Main Pit was sunk.

     1863.   The Primitive Methodists open their chapel on Pitt Street in Low Valley.

     1871.   In the five areas of Darfield - Snape Hill; Darfield Bridge; Millhouses; Edderthorpe; and Low Valley 

                  there are now 370 dwelling houses. The population stands at 1673 - 906 males and 767 females 

                  The rapid growth in seventy years indicates the corresponding growth in industry.

     1872.   Fire at Darfield Main pit on the 13th. October.

                  The Methodist Church on George Street, Low Valley opened.

     1875.   The first coal is mined at Mitchells Main Colliery. (Adjacent to Darfield Main).

                  Houghton Main Colliery is sunk. (This lay in the Dearne Valley, the above two collieries lay in the

                  Dove Valley. It was sufficiently close to Darfield centre though as to create further work

                  opportunities for the village).

                  Darfield cricket club was established.

     1878.   515 yards of coal were won at Houghton Main on 1st. February.

     1879.   The Reading Room in the village was given to the people of Darfield by Rev. H. B. Cooke. (This

                   lies only a few yards from the Maurice Dobson Heritage Centre).

     1880.   Mr. D. Hammerton bought land at the top of Snape Hill in Darfield from Trinity College,

                  Cambridge. On that land he then erected College House and College Terrace.

                  The tunnel at Darfield Station  is "scalped" to make a cutting.

     1886.   The Wesleyan Chapel on School Street was bought by Mr. F. H. Taylor of Middlewood Hall for a

                  Conservative Club.

                  On December 30th., the cage bringing miners from the pit bottom at Houghton Main overshot on 

                   its ascent, broke the winding rope and plunged to the pit bottom again. 10 men were killed. The

                   winding man, Mr. Beresford, was later tried for manslaughter but was acquitted. A memorial to the

                  men killed is in Darfield Churchyard.

     1887.   Opening service in the new Barnsley Road Methodist Chapel on 31st. March. (Cost £1,200).

     1896.   Darfield became an Urban District with its own Council.

     1898.   Electric street lighting was installed in the village at a cost of £854.

     1902.   The Church School on School Street was opened.

     1905.   A train was derailed at Storrs Mill, the engine overturning, with several killed.

     1906.   The ' Darfield Judgement ' was pronounced in the House of Lords. This case had risen through

                   the courts with the backing from the Rector of Darfield. Under the Judgement, a child who 

                   attended a church service on Ascension Day morning could take the rest of the day as holiday but

                   be given his mark as present on the register of his school.

     1909.   Old age pensions began, being paid to those over the age of 70. 26 old people in Darfield 

                   received a pension.

     1910.   The new 960 place Council Elementary School at Low Valley was opened on 27th. January at a

                  cost of £11,031. (Now Valley School).

                  The Primitive Methodist Chapel in Low Valley was opened on 9th. June replacing the chapel on

                  Pitt Street.

     1911.   The Taylor family of Middlewood Hall gave the land on School Street for the Cricket Club.

     1944.   The Darfield Foulstone Secondary School on Nanny Marr Road was opened. (Now the Darfield

                   Foulstone Comprehensive School).

     1947.   450 silver coins from the Roman era and dated 100 - 300 AD were found during building work on

                  North Street.

     1948.   A further hoard of Roman coins were found during excavation work on Morrison Road/ Clarney

                  Place.

     1950.   Yet another find of Roman coins in the Clarney Avenue/ Barnsley Road area. Altogether 981 silver

                  coins and 541 copper coins have been found in Darfield.

     1960.   Darfield railway station is closed. 

     1964.   The Methodist Church on George Street closes.

     1969.   The course of the River Dearne before Darfield Bridge is changed again and high banks created

                  as part of the formation of "holding fields" to prevent flooding in Bentley, which is many miles

                  downstream, during times of very heavy rain. The new River bridge was erected.

     1981.   Population of Darfield now officially given as 10,563. There are now some 3,795 privately owned

                  houses and some 1698 Council owned properties.

     2000.   Restoration of 2, Vicar Road, at a cost of £200,000.

     2001.   Darfield Museum at 2, Vicar Road, is opened.

     2006.   Opening of Valley School, replacing the Council School of 1910.

     2007.   Major flooding of routes into Darfield on the A635 at Darfield Bridge and the B6096 at Low Valley.

      2012.   The new Netherwood school opened, built on the site of the Darfield Main Colliery. This new school replaced the Darfield Foulstone School and Wombwell High school. The site of the Foulstone School was cleared ready for major redevelopment.

      2013. The Darfield Area Amenity society celebrated the 40th. year since its formation on December 3rd. 1973

                  Surfers are welcome to copy and use this potted history but acknowledgement should please be given to this web site.